SEA POWER SYMPOSIUM
The People’s Army of Vietnam Navy (PAVN) received a boost when the country acquired Russian Kilo-class diesel-electric submarines, Gepard-class frigates and additional Svetlyak fast attack craft (FAC). With the improving capability of the fleet vis-à-vis the country’s growing economy and its dependence on open sea lines of communication for trade and resources, the navy is expected to operate at higher tempos amid growing regional concerns about maritime sovereignty.
- Regional naval and maritime security concerns – prospects for confidence building and co-operation
- Submarine operations and underwater safety
- Piracy and non-traditional threats
- The utility of unmanned maritime and underwater vehicles
- Coastal surveillance and security
- The increasing role of coast guards in maritime security